Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cacao!

 In the weeks since I've gotten my mountain bike I have been working to familiarize myself with new parts of Gallon Jug.  I have 4 bike routes that I frequent, ranging in distance from about 8 to 20 miles and if difficulty from typical gravel roads to jungle hiking trails. 
A lot of days, by the time I get done with work, I'm quite limited by the approach of evening.  In this region the shift from day to night happens extremely rapidly, and since I have no interest in getting caught in the jungle on a bike after dark, one of my favorite late afternoon rides has become a quick trip to Gallon Jug's cacao plantation.  The cacao is grown about 4 miles into the jungle, which makes it a nice and easy ride, as well as a manageable jog if there were to be bike issues.

Cacao is the plant that yields the seeds used to make chocolate.  As with coffee, I'm not a huge fan of the end product, but the cacao seed pod is quite the treat in and of itself.


 There are three or four different varieties of cacao growing in Gallon Jug, and I have found all that I've tried to be equally tasty.
 Inside the cacao seed pod there is a grape like cluster of seeds.  Each seed is coated in a layer of custardy deliciousness that has an under-ripe banana flavor.  To get at the goods one takes the seed pod and cracks it in half on a rock.  Next you pluck and slurp the tasty coating off the seeds.
 What you are left with is the proper cacao seed that is used to make chocolate. 
 Monkeys are also frequent visitors to the cacao plantation.  I've seen spider monkeys on every trip that I have taken.  I've also heard howler monkeys in the jungle around the cacao, though I am yet to actually spot this larger, but more skittish primate.
 My most exciting animal run in on a bike happened last week, though not at the cacao plantation.  I was taking a longer loop from Gallon Jug to Laguna Verde and then on to Sylvester Village and back.  As I was nearing Laguna Verde I crested a hill and biked right up on two young pumas (aka mountain lions) playing in the road like kittens.  I was within about 20 yards of the pumas when they took notice of me and dashed into the woods.  It was without a doubt the most exhilarating wild cat encounter that I've had in all of my travels, and would rank very high for wildlife encounters in general. 
At present I've now seen first hand three species of Belize's wild cats (5 jaguars, 2 pumas, and one jaguarundi).




And the BELIZE NATIONAL SYMBOL of the week goes to..................

The Black Orchid 

These thumbnail sized beauties are currently blooming on their palm tree perch outside of the school.






No comments:

Post a Comment