Saturday, September 15, 2012

Realities of Jungle Life



Living in a place like Gallon Jug, Belize, it is pretty easy fall into a bit of a trance and focus on only the surreal beauty and truly unique atmosphere.  With a nod to realism and transparency, I will attempt to focus this post on the flip side of living in a jungle paradise. 

My first night in Belize was spent in the air-conditioned splendor of The Villa at the Chan Chich Lodge.  After cracking open an ice-cold Belikin beer and bellying up to the private bar, I opened the Villa’s guestbook and began paging through the entries.  All of the past guests raved about Chan Chich’s world-class facilities and services.  Additionally, nearly every entry made reference to at least one, seemingly chance encounter with a scorpion, snake, or giant spider.  Most of these references were made with regard to the thrill of encountering these creatures on their turf; such as a scorpion scuttling across the deck while the guests were enjoying a relaxing dip in the private hot tub or a Mayan Coral Snake seen from the safety of the truck during a jungle safari. 

The reality of living here is that there is not only a chance, but a likelihood of encountering a dangerous animal every single day.  Doubtless, the most sought after company for these encounters is the elusive jaguar or slightly less elusive puma (mountain lion).  After a month in the bush I am still waiting to see one of these apex predators.  I had to wait considerably less long for my first encounter with a scorpion.

Since arriving in the jungle I have been very consciously working to establish habits to minimize the chance of being taken by surprise by a scorpion.  For the first time in my life, making my bed, with what I’d hope is near military precision, has made it into my morning routine.  The same is true for shaking towels, all articles of clothing, and shoes before use. 

My first scorpion encounter, though comical in hindsight, taught me a few valuable lessons.  On my first visit to the school I was making an inventory of books and reference materials in my classroom.  I reached up to grab a particular volume off the top of the bookshelf.  As I tilted the book towards me to pull it down I fell victim to a slow motion attack.  I registered the shape sliding off of the book and falling right towards my face as that of a scorpion and flight response took over.  I knocked over student desks and a trash can to evade my pursuer, though when I looked back I saw that the scorpion was in reality only the dried, molted husk of a scorpion making a featherlike decent to the classroom floor.

I am happy to report that since my initial fail, the score is currently Sean 6 – Scorpions 0. 

Most encounters have been as follows:  enter room, see scorpion on floor, dispatch scorpion with sandal. One evening I walked into the bathroom before going to bed to brush my teeth.  When I flipped on the bathroom light I was just in time to see a scorpion duck for cover under my tube of toothpaste.  I have since invested in a toiletry holder that hangs on the wall.

I have adapted a policy of live and let live with scorpions that I encounter outdoors and away from the loft and school.  I think this shows a lot of growth in a month’s time, all things considered.

Oh yes, there have been encounters with spiders, snakes, and a giant bull, but they will have to wait for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment